Finding the main course for your keto diet can be pretty easy, but finding keto side dishes that compliment your dinner can be a little more challenging. Luckily, just like most keto meals, there’s a way to make a keto version that tastes delicious and will please even the pickiest eater in your household. You’re going to love these keto side dish recipes!
What is the keto diet?
The keto diet is a low carb diet that focuses mainly on getting most calories from protein and fat. When your body consumes less carbohydrates, it puts you in a state of ketosis. Ketosis is a desired state because your body will start to burn fat for energy instead of carbohydrates. It’s easy to stick with a keto diet lifestyle by tracking your food and staying under 20 grams of carbs by avoiding sugars and starches like bread and pasta. Keto recipes like these are a great way to stay on track and keep it low carb.
What sides dishes can I eat on keto?
When you are on the keto diet, you start to miss comfort food staples like mashed potatoes, pasta, and crispy fries. There’s still a way you can enjoy your favorite comfort foods as a low carb option alongside your main dishes. The most popular keto side dishes are usually ones that replace carbs like cauliflower rice, zucchini noodles, jicama fries, cauliflower mash, and spaghetti squash.
What sides don’t have carbs?
While it can be difficult to find keto side dishes that are also zero carb, they do exist. Most vegetables, although healthy and good for you, still contain carbohydrates. Some of the best sides that don’t have carbs are pork belly chips, turkey and cheese roll-ups, hard boiled eggs, cheese crisps, dried seaweed, pepperoni chips, olives, and cucumber salad.
What vegetables are keto-friendly?
The best way to choose keto-friendly vegetables is to determine how they were grown. If grown above ground, there is a good chance it will be a keto-friendly vegetable, but most high carb starchy vegetables are grown under ground. Examples of low-carb vegetables include spinach, lettuce, asparagus, avocado, cucumber, tomato, cauliflower, zucchini, broccoli, green beans, peppers, cabbage, and brussels sprouts. You don’t have to throw out every root vegetable though. Some low carb root vegetables include rutabaga, onion, carrot, and jicama. It’s best to avoid potatoes and sweet potatoes on the keto diet.
Are these keto sides freezer-friendly?
You can freeze almost any of these side dishes except for the cucumber salad and broccoli salad. To reheat, microwave in one-minute increments, stirring each time, until warm. Or reheat the way it was originally cooked such as stovetop or oven. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator in a covered dish for up to 5 days.
Best keto side dishes
By now, I’m sure you want some quick & easy keto side dishes that are easy to throw together with just a few simple ingredients. Below you’ll find the perfect side dish to compliment your main course. You can top these side dishes with almost anything from marinara sauce to gravy. Check them out and tell me what you think in the comments below!
1. Cauliflower Rice: Grate 1 large head Cauliflower into “rice” + Add to skillet 1 tablespoon Olive Oil + Cauliflower Rice + Cover & cook on medium heat for 5-8 minutes
2. Zucchini Noodles (Zoodles): Using a spiralizer, make noodles from 2 medium Zucchini & set aside + Heat pan on stovetop over medium-heat + Add 1 tablespoon Olive Oil + 2 minced Garlic Cloves + Sauté 30 seconds + Add Zucchini Noodles + Toss for 1 minute + Top with 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan Cheese
3. Bacon Green Beans: Add to skillet 6 chopped Bacon slices + Cook on medium-high heat for 5 minutes until crispy & remove from pan + Reduce heat to medium + Add 1 tablespoon Butter + 1 pound fresh Green Beans + ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder + ¼ teaspoon Sea Salt + ¼ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper + 3 tablespoons Water + Sauté 8 minutes + Top with cooked Bacon + hand shredded Cheddar Cheese + Broil 1 minute
4. Easy Spaghetti Squash: Poke Spaghetti Squash with fork several times + Add to microwave-safe dish + Microwave on high 5 minutes + Cut Spaghetti Squash in half + Remove seeds + Add 1 tablespoon Olive Oil + ¼ teaspoon Sea Salt + ¼ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper + Add 1 Spaghetti Squash half to microwave-safe dish + Add 1 inch Water + Microwave 5 minutes until noodles can easily be scraped out with a fork
5. Brussels Sprouts: Add to skillet ½ cup Butter + 4 tablespoons minced Garlic Cloves + 16 oz halved Brussels Sprouts + Sauté on medium heat until brown & crispy + Add ¼ teaspoon Sea Salt + ¼ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
6. Jicama Fries: Peel Jicama + Cut into thin strips + Boil Jicama Fries 12-15 minutes until soft + Pat dry + Coat in Olive Oil + ½ teaspoon Cumin + ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder + ¼ teaspoon Sea Salt + Place in air fryer for 20-25 minutes at 400 degrees F
7. Keto Onion Rings: Add to donut pan hand shredded Colby Jack Cheese + Add 1 Onion slice per donut circle + Top with hand shredded Colby Jack Cheese + Sprinkle with Pork King Good Seasoning Salt + Bake for 20-25 minutes at 375 degrees F
8. Cauliflower Mash: Add to large pot 1 large chopped Cauliflower Head + Boil in water for 10 minutes + Remove & drain + Add 3 tablespoons Butter + 6 Garlic Cloves + Sauté 1 minute until fragrant + Add to food processor Cauliflower & Garlic Butter + Blend until smooth + Mix in extras like Sour Cream + Seasonings + Parmesan Cheese
9. Keto Cheesy “Bread” Sticks: 1 pack of Ranchero Queso Fresco + Slice into strips + Coat with Olive Oil + Fry on medium-high heat on both sides until it looks dark brown and bubbly
10. Zucchini Fritters: Remove moisture from 8 grated medium Zucchini + Add to large bowl grated Zucchini + Add 1 teaspoon Sea Salt + 1 cup grated Parmesan Cheese + 2 Eggs + 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning + 4 minced Garlic Cloves + Heat skillet over medium-high heat + Add Olive Oil for frying + Add Zucchini batter + Fry 2 minutes on each side until golden brown
11. Keto Broccoli Salad: Add to large bowl 2 chopped Broccoli Heads + 8 chopped & cooked Bacon Slices + 1 cup chopped Red Onions + 1 cup hand shredded Cheddar Cheese + ½ cup Sunflower Seeds + In a separate small bowl + Add 1 cup Mayonnaise + 2 tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar + 3 tablespoons Sugar-Free Sweetener + Mix well + Add Dressing to large bowl + Mix well
12. Cucumber Salad: Add to large bowl 2 large sliced Cucumbers + Sea Salt + Refrigerate overnight + 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar + 2 tablespoons White Wine Vinegar + 1 teaspoon Onion Powder + ¼ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper + 1 cup Mayonnaise + 1 tablespoon Dill Weed
13. Best Parmesan Lemon Broccoli (my favorite): Add to baking sheet 5 pounds Broccoli Florets + Toss in 5 tablespoons Olive Oil + 1.5 teaspoons Sea Salt + ½ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper + 4 thinly sliced Garlic Cloves + Roast in oven for 20-25 minutes at 425 degrees F tossing often + Top with Olive Oil + Lemon Zest + ⅓ cup grated Parmesan Cheese
14. Keto Tortilla Chips: Microwave 2 cup hand shredded Mozzarella Cheese 1-2 minutes until melted + Add 1 cup Almond Flour + Form dough + Roll between two pieces of parchment paper + Cut into triangles + Bake for 12-15 minutes at 350 degrees F
15. Egg Noodles: Add to large bowl ½ cup Lupin Flour + 4 Egg Yolks + Mix well until crumbs form + Microwave 2 cup hand shredded Mozzarella Cheese 1-2 minutes until melted + Add to flour mixture + Mix well until dough forms + Roll between two pieces of parchment paper + Cut into strips + Refrigerate overnight until dry + Boil pasta 1 minute in pot of water
16. Creamed Spinach: Microwave 10 ounces frozen Spinach on defrost + Add to skillet defrosted Spinach + Heat on medium-high heat + Add ½ teaspoon Onion Powder + ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder + ½ teaspoon Sea Salt + ¼ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper + 3 ounces Cream Cheese + Stir well + Add 2 tablespoons Sour Cream + ¼ cup grated Parmesan Cheese + Stir well until thickened
17. Cauliflower Mac & Cheese: Add to baking sheet 1 chopped head Cauliflower + Toss in 2 tablespoons Olive Oil + ½ teaspoon Sea Salt + ¼ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper + Roast for 15-20 minutes at 450 degrees F + Add to small saucepan 1 cup hand shredded Cheddar Cheese + ¼ cup Heavy Cream + ¼ cup Almond Milk + 1 tablespoon Butter + Heat on low heat + Stir frequently + Add to large bowl Cheese Sauce + Roasted Cauliflower + Mix well
18. Tater Tots: Add to skillet 24 ounces frozen Cauliflower Rice + 2 tablespoons Olive Oil + Heat over medium-high heat until soft & dry + Add to large bowl 1 Egg + 1.5 cups Mozzarella Cheese + ½ teaspoon Sea Salt + Mix well + Add Cauliflower Rice + Mix well + Using small cookie scoop form 1 inch mounds + Add to skillet 2 tablespoons Olive Oil + Heat over medium heat + Add Tater Tots + Fry for 2 minutes on each side
Sauces for your low carb sides
Here are a few more easy recipes that will compliment your keto-friendly sides!
1. Keto Cheese Sauce: Add to small saucepan ½ cup Heavy Cream + Heat over low heat + Add 3 ounces Cream Cheese + Allow to melt + Add 1.5 cups hand shredded Cheddar Cheese + ½ teaspoon Smoked Paprika
2. Keto Gravy: Add to small saucepan 4 tablespoons Butter + ½ cup Heavy Cream + 2 cups Beef Stock + Heat over low heat until melted + Add 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum + 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper + Stir until thickened + Add 2 tablespoons Almond Flour
3. Keto Cranberry Sauce: Add to small saucepan 2 cups fresh Cranberries + ½ cup Sugar-Free Powdered Sweetener + ½ cup Water + Heat over high heat until boiling + Reduce heat to low + Simmer + Stir occasionally for 10 minutes
PIN FOR LATER!