Last Updated on February 19, 2021 by Olivia Wyles
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
This Keto Taquito recipe is going to become your favorite recipe in the whole, wide world. You just don’t know it yet. It’s so versatile and customizable, you could probably call it the new Chaffle. It’s that simple. The sky is the limit on what to put in your Keto Taquitos. Don’t you just love how the words “Keto Taquitos” just roll off your tongue?
It starts with hand shredded cheese (or cheese slices) and ends about 5 minutes later with the easiest appetizer/snack you’ve ever made.
Appetizers and snacks like these are essential especially when trying to stay Keto at a party or on a holiday.
For this recipe, I chose to dress up some rotisserie chicken from the prepared deli section. You could make these with beef, chicken, lunch meat, bacon, sausage, chorizo, and so many more options. I love Keto recipes that you can simply throw together. Even kids will love these!
Keto Taquitos are quickly becoming a favorite in my house so you’ll probably see a lot more of these ideas from me very soon.
Tips for making Keto Taquitos
The cheese must be cheese slices or hand-shredded cheese. The shredded cheese from the grocery store has more carbs and is coated with starch to keep it from clumping in transit. So it will not melt very well in the oven. It’s just best to avoid pre-shredded cheese altogether.
For this recipe, I found that Colby Jack cheese tastes best since it’s a milder cheese and won’t overpower the contents of the taquito. Sharp cheese just tasted too sharp for me during testing. Mozzarella tasted good, but it didn’t remind me of that Mexican dish flavor. Pepper Jack may also be a great option.
Hand shred your cheese and place in mounds on a silicone baking sheet or parchment paper. Side note: The silicone baking sheets are WORTH the investment. You won’t have to worry at all about the cheese getting stuck. Too many times I have attempted to make cheese chips on parchment paper only to have wasted lots of cheese in the process. Plus, you can put silicone baking sheets in the microwave! For this recipe, I baked the cheese at 375 degrees for 5 minutes in my gas oven. Since oven temperatures vary, take a peek at 5 minutes. If all of the cheese is bubbling and the edges are slightly golden brown, it’s good to go.
While your cheese mounds are baking, prepare your pan to heat up the chicken. It’s super simple. Add shredded chicken, olive oil, and spices to your pan. Heat chicken on medium heat and stir to coat the chicken thoroughly.
Once you’ve taken a peek at the cheese, take out of the oven and allow to cool for a couple minutes. Use your fingertips to test the “rollability” of each cheese mound. It should be slightly stiff and flexible, but not crispy or super mushy. Once you can lift off the mat without burning your fingers, add some of the filling then roll it up to form the perfect Keto Taquito.
Serve with Low Carb Ranch or Sour Cream for dipping!
There are so many different variations to this amazing recipe. Here are a few you can try as well:
- Keto Buffalo Chicken Taquitos: Mozzarella Cheese + Buffalo Sauce + Shredded Chicken + Low Carb Ranch (for dipping)
- Keto Jalapeno Popper Taquitos: Mild Cheddar Cheese + Cream Cheese + Jalapenos + Bacon
- Keto Ultimate Breakfast Taquitos: Mozzarella Cheese + Bacon + Sausage + Egg + Extra Shredded Cheese
- Keto Turkey Bacon Avocado Ranch Taquitos: Mozzarella Cheese + Deli Turkey + Bacon + Avocado + Low Carb Ranch (for dipping)
- Keto Beef Taquitos: Colby Jack Cheese + Ground Beef + Low Carb Taco Seasoning + Sour Cream (for dipping)
Keto Taquito recipes inspired by Maebells.
Looking for more quick & easy meal ideas? Check out these below:
- 8 ounces colby jack cheese
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and prepare baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Using a cheese grater, shred cheese and place 6 mounds at least 2 inches apart on baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes until cheese is bubbling and slightly golden brown around the edges.
- While cheese is baking, shred rotisserie chicken with hands or two forks. In a medium skillet on medium heat, heat shredded chicken. Add olive oil, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper and stir to coat chicken thoroughly.
- Take cheese shells out of the oven and allow to cool for 2 minutes. Add a small pile of chicken filling to the cheese shells and roll each one tightly.
- Serve with sour cream or ranch dressing for dipping.
Oven times may vary.
Only use cheese shredded by hand or cheese slices.
Try different fillings like beef, deli meat, and bacon!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size1 Taquito
Amount Per Serving Calories 260Total Fat 15gCarbohydrates 1gNet Carbohydrates 1gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 31g